D. Gayle Loftis, Attorney at Law
Empowering clients to take action against wrongful conduct
Attorney D. Gayle Loftis empowers her clients by giving them a voice and taking action when they need strength. At an initial consultation, she honestly assesses a case and selects cases that she feels she can win. She makes her clients feel comfortable and helps them gain the strength to continue on after being barraged by the opposing parties and their attorneys. Ms. Loftis nurtures her clients. She respects their opinions and their thoughts. She works closely with clients to find the relevant facts in a case and present this information persuasively in court—bringing more than 31 years of experience to the practice of law. Her legal qualifications are outlined below:
Areas of practice
- 1979, New Jersey
- 1979, Virginia
- 1979, U.S. Federal Court, District of New Jersey
- 1988, U.S. Supreme Court
- 1984, U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- 1987, U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- 1991, U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- Rutgers Newark—School of Law, Newark, New Jersey, 1979, J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- University of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, 1972, B.A., Bachelor of Arts, Major: Criminology
- North Carolina State, University, Raleigh, NC, Major: Pre-Med
- Amorosa v. Jersey City Welding & Mach. Works, 518 A.2d 529 (N.J.Super.A.D. 1986)
- Flying Tiger Line v. Teamsters Pension Trust Fund of Philadelphia, 830 F.2d 1241 (C.A.3 (Del.) 1987)
- Matter of Dutton, 15 B.R. 318 (Bkrtcy.D.N.J. 1981)
- Printing Mart-Morristown v. Sharp Electronics Corp., 563 A.2d 31 (N.J. 1989)
- Frank et al v. County of Hudson, et al., 924 F. Supp. 620 (D.N.J. 1996)
- United States of America v. International Brotherhood of Teamsters, 907 F2d 277 (2d Cir. 1990)
- Printing Mart-Morristown, Inc. v. Rosenthal Printing, 650 F. Supp. 1444 (D.N.J. 1987)
- Matter of Positive Directions Unlimited, 56 B.R. 421 (B.N.J. 1985)
- In Re: Poskanzer, 55 B.R. 329 (B.N.J. 1985)
- Matter of Montanino, 15 B.R. 307 (B.N.J. 1981)
Professional associations, memberships, and activities
- Bergen County Bar Association
- Co-Chair of Employment-Labor Committee, 2004–2011
- Co-Chair of Bergen County Bar Convention, 2005, 2007
- Member of Nomination Committee, 2007–2010
- Member of Judicial Appointment Committee, 2007–11/2009
- Member of Federal Practice Committee, 2007, 2011
- Member of the Diversity in the Profession, 2010–2011
- Women Judges Association (Past Member)
- American Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice- New Jersey
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Women Lawyers in Bergen County
- International Foundation of Employee Benefits (Past Member)
- Virginia State Bar Association
- New Jersey Workers Compensation 2011 Centennial Committee
- Approved Mediator for New Jersey State Courts, 2001 to present
- Bergen County Mock Trial Court Judge, 2005–2006, 2007–2011
- N.J. Institute of Continuing Legal Education Panel Member, March 2007, March 2009, March 2011 "Liability of Local & State Governments: Section § 1983 Civil Rights Actions"
- N.J. Institute of Continuing Legal Education Panel Member, October 2009 "Section § 1983 Civil Rights Actions"
- N.J. Attorney General's Advocacy Institute Panel Member, December 2007 "Litigating State & Local Governmental Liability"
Past employment positions
- Alternate Prosecutor, Township of Washington, NJ, 2010
- D. Gayle Loftis, Esq, Hackensack, NJ, 1990–Present
- Chasan, Leyner, Tarrant, Loftis & Lamparello, Partner, Jersey City, NJ 1987–1990
- Borough of Fairview, Bergen County, Fairview, NJ, Municipal Judge, 1984–1990
- D. Gayle Loftis, Esq., Jersey City, NJ, 1979–1987
- Gerald Zashin, Esq., Livingston, NJ, 1977–1980
- Judge D. Joseph DeVito, Federal Bankruptcy Court, Clerk, Newark, NJ, 1977–1979
- Gayle Loftis Associates, Livingston, NJ, 1977–1979
- Senator Martin L. Greenberg, South Orange, NJ, Legislative Aide, 1976–1977
- State Law Enforcement Planning Agency, Trenton, NJ, 1975–1976
- Impact Cities, Cleveland, OH, 1975
- Association of Community Development Corp., Cleveland, OH, 1974
In the media
- Three Ex Employees of Salon Claim Harassment, The Record, 20 September 1997.
- Woman Joins Harassment Suit Against Sheriff, The Record, 16 February 1994.
- Widow of Slain Jersey City Police Detective Marc DiNardo Intends to File $10M Suit Against the City, NJ.com, 24 June 2010.
- Officer Files Charge Against Boss, The Jersey Journal, 10 June 1993.
- New Suit Says Outlaw Let Son Harass Women, The Jersey Journal, 21 April 1997.
- Jail Chief Hit with 2 Lawsuits, The Jersey Journal, 14 July 1997.
- $500G Sex Suit Payout, The Jersey Journal, 8 October 1996.
- County Settles Sex Suit: Two ex-elections staffers get $200G, The Jersey Journal, 10 August 1999.
- Five Charge Abuses by Jail Warden, The Jersey Journal, 13 January 2001.
From offices located in Hackensack, we proudly serve Bergen and Hudson Counties.